Monday, March 22, 2010

China and Google

There's a overload of opinion on this on the web, from both perspectives. I'm not sure how much I can add to this, even as the war of words threatens to escalate into a pull-out. But here's my opinion:

  1. I'll be annoyed with google if they pull out of China as it will make it harder for me to access my email, etc. Youtube and blogger are already blocked but there's youtubecn.com and VPNs to work around that, but its a pain to have to jump through those hoops sometimes.
  2. Google lose access to a market of 1 billion people. Doesn't seem wise.
  3. UK has ridiculous libel laws, Germany censors Nazi stuff (understandably), US has restrictive anti-copy legislation that brings down websites... China has issues, but the internet restriction is hardly the biggest.

No comments:

Post a Comment